Harry Dunn’s alleged killer Anne Sacoolas will no longer face a UK court hearing next week to allow “ongoing discussions” with the Crown Prosecution Service to continue.
The US citizen had been due to appear via video link at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
Sacoolas, the wife of a US diplomat, is accused of causing Mr Dunn’s death by dangerous driving after a fatal road crash outside the US military base RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire on 27 August 2019.
The 44-year-old had diplomatic immunity asserted on her behalf by the US government and was able to leave the UK 19 days after the collision.
A decision was reached to charge Sacoolas in December 2019.
A Crown Prosecution Statement said: “Following engagement between the parties, the hearing on 18 January at Westminster Magistrates’ Court has been vacated.
“This is to enable ongoing discussions between the CPS and Anne Sacoolas’s legal representatives to continue.
“Mrs Sacoolas has a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice any proceedings.”
Radd Seiger, spokesman for Harry Dunn’s family, said: “We have full faith in the Crown Prosecution Service and will wait to hear from them with further developments, hopefully in the near future.
“Harry’s family were obviously looking forward to the hearing on Tuesday so they hope an agreement will be reached sooner rather than later.
“It is vitally important for their mental health that justice and closure is achieved soon.”
Charlotte Charles, the mother of 19-year-old Mr Dunn, said in December last year that her family were feeling “very emotional and overwhelmed” after hearing Sacoolas was due to face criminal proceedings in the UK.